What are the best supplements for your brain?
Medical experts assert that there are many dietary supplements and vitamins that can contribute to overall brain health. Remember to consult your primary care physician prior to beginning a supplement plan. Keep the following in mind when you do:
– B complex vitamins: High levels of a certain amino acid may make the brain more vulnerable to beta-amyloid, a substance associated with Alzheimer’s disease. Folic acid, B6 and B12 can lower levels of the homocysteine amino acid, according to an Oxford University study.
– Fish oil supplements: Omega 3 fatty acids, specifically docosahexaenoic acid (CHA and eicosatetraenoic acid (EPA), may help to delay the onset of Alzheimer’s disease. The type of fish oil and the dosage matters for the best results, according the Alzheimers.net. Fish oil may also lower cholesterol, which has been linked to Alzheimer’s.
– Vitamin D: Vitamin D has the potential to protect the brain against cognitive decline and dementia. Recent studies show that more than half of people in the United States have vitamin D deficiencies. As people age, this worsens, as our ability to produce and absorb vitamin D lessens. And since a 2014 study indicated that people with extremely low vitamin D levels are twice as likely to develop Alzheimer’s disease, a vitamin D supplement may be beneficial.
Tips to Get the Best Supplements for Your Brain
After consulting with your doctor and coming up with a dietary aide plan, consider these tips to get the best supplements for your brain.
– Read labels and don’t buy products with artificial ingredients.
– See if the product needs refrigeration.
– Protect products from light.
– Look for a seal of approval from ConsumerLab.com, NSF International or the United States Pharmacpeia (USP).
– Make sure containers are vacuum sealed and tamper proof to maximize freshness and safety.
Of course, relying solely on supplements isn’t the best way to optimize brain health. A healthy diet, physical activity, socialization and cognitive benefits of meditation contribute to overall brain health, and incorporating supplements can only help.
It may take some legwork to identify the best supplements for your brain and the appropriate doses. But taking the right ones can lower the risk of Alzheimer’s and promote overall wellbeing.